Sunday, May 10, 2009

Monticello

On Tuesday, May 5th, the fourth grade traveled to Monticello in Charlottesville, VA. It is beautiful there. However, I would much prefer to go without students.

For those of you who don't know (as I didn't, not being from Virginia), Monticello is the place where Thomas Jefferson grew up. It is a huge part of Virginia history down here. So our one and only field trip of the year is there. Here is a picture of what it looks like if you are standing in the front lawn.
This is the greenhouse part of the house.


Here are some pictures of the grounds and gardens.This is Thomas Jefferson's gravestone. His whole family is buried in this cemetery on Monticello land. We heard some really neat history while on the tour. If you've never been to Monticello, I highly recommend going. It is just beautiful.
Some of the teachers were a little bit exhausted after a long day of chasing after kids. (I don't think it helped that we got up at 4:30 in the morning though either.)

No comments: