Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Air Force Museum

On Friday we went to the Air Force Museum in Dayton. This was the highlight of Tyler's trip I think. We were there from 10 am until 3 pm. That's right folks, 5 hours. There are three big hangers displaying all the planes and they are in the process of building the fourth. In all honesty, if you are big into planes and/or history, this really is a neat place that you could easily spend a couple days. I did find parts interesting and I read what I wanted to read about certain events. However, 5 hours was a bit much for me. (Tyler wanted to stay longer.) I'm sure when we go back, which you will find out why in a couple posts, we will visit it again.
This plane was called "Jenny". How cool!
This was an actual homing pigeon from WWII (?) that was hatched and raised in the trenches. It was sent with a message and was shot at numerous times. The pigeon had a bullet through it's wing and his right foot, which was carrying the message, was severed. The pigeon was determined though, and the message got to the rightful place. Shortly after the pigeon died. On the wall of names honoring those who died during the war, is Stumpy Joe's name.
A cyclone engine
So excited! :)
I think this one kind of looks like a UFO. As you can tell by the symbol on the tail, this was a Nazi plane.
I was preparing to fly into space.
Tyler decided he couldn't live without me so he was going too!
Us
Tyler inside one of the planes.
We thought this one looked like a whale.

No comments: